Thursday, February 23, 2012

The Contender By Robert Lipsyte


    
            It only takes one mistake.  One mistake and a gang of ruthless men are after Alfred Brooks.  He risks it all to become a fighter.  He jeopardizes his boxing career to fight for a better life.  The Contender, by Robert Lipsyte, is the story of Alfred becoming a fighter.  But it’s also the story of the street, drug addictions, and the pursuit of happiness for a brighter future. Learning to box was the way Alfred was going to do so.  Without a doubt, none of this would be able to happen without Alfred’s trainer, Mr. Donatelli.
 If anybody out there wants a book that’ll keep you on your toes, this book is for you.  Honestly, I don’t like reading books that much.  As soon as I started reading this book, my thoughts changed.  I never knew what it was like, not being able to put a book down, until I stumbled upon this one.  More surprisingly, it made me think, which isn’t ordinary for me either.  I believe that Alfred deserves a better life and that he should face his fears as a fighter.  Only then will he be the contender that he wants to be… Or will he?

Danny Fraley
Miss Heater

No comments:

Post a Comment