Friday, November 14, 2014

Don't Look Behind You by Lois Duncan


High school student, April Corrigan, has a perfectly normal life. In fact, better than most. She has a handsome boyfriend, lots of tennis friends, and a fine family. Except that her father has supposedly worked undercover for the F.B.I. and is now a witness to a huge drug crime. But, it seems to be worse than expected. Someone shot a gun, barely missing her father, as he was testifying. April’s life is about to change completely. Having to run away from her hometown, then joining a witness protection program, everything in April’s life is about to be gone. A killer is seeking out the family as they’re on the run. Will April accept a new life, or will her and her family be in grave danger? Read this book to find out.

This book is one of the most suspenseful novels I’ve ever read. Which is saying alot. Although having a simple plot, I was reading on my bed, biting my fingernails, shaking. Before reading this book, I always wondered, “How can a book be scary?” The main part of a horror movie is the music, but a book can’t have that! Well, Lois Duncan proved that books can be just as scary as movies. My opinion on the main character, April, was that she is very snobby. She made naive mistakes, just for her social life, that could’ve killed her family. But then again, if I was in her position, the book would be about a little boy crying, the entire time. I loved how the book progressively made the situation worse and worse. For example, just hiding at a hotel for a weekend, to completely having a new identity at the end. This book is also not about a killer seeking the family. It’s mainly the family just adapting to new situations. I believe this is a great twist on a regular scary story. The fact that April has to slowly lose everything, made this book twice as sad and scary. Overall, it’s a little more than 200 pages that excite, suspense, and make you cry.


By Allen Sha

No comments:

Post a Comment